Wound Care Information Sheet
POSTOPERATIVE WOUND CARE
In order to obtain the best possible results following surgery, please follow these instructions:
- Leave the dressing dry and in place for 48 hours.
- In 48 hours, shower with the dressing on, then remove the dressing, wash hands and gently clean the wound,removing old blood or scabs, using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton bud, dry wound with gauze.
- After cleaning the wound apply a generous smear of Vaseline or Stratamed (only this brand) to the wound.
- Then apply a nonstick dressing (such as Telfa or Melolin) shiny side to wound and paper tape (Micropore).
- Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 every 24 hours until your next appointment.
- If you need pain relief, please take Panadol, Panadeine or Ibuprofen/Paracetamol (Maxigesic). No more than 8 Panadol/Panadeine /Maxigesic in 24 hours.– Please check with the Doctor before taking Ibuprofen, it should not be taken with some medications eg: Blood thinners. Avoid Aspirin or any Aspirin containing products.
- If bleeding occurs apply continuous firm pressure (no Peeking) with a cold pack or packet of frozen peas over the wound for 20 minutes. If bleeding persists, please call the practice.
- To reduce swelling, apply a cold pack or packet of frozen peas wrapped in a clean tea towel over the dressing for 15 minutes of each hour until bedtime on the day of the surgery only. Swelling is usually worst 2 days after the surgery.
- If the skin around the wound becomes red and tender please call the practice.
- Resting quietly for the first 24-48 hours post-op is advised. A low chew diet on the first day is helpful for facial surgery. Do not exercise, do housework or gardening until sutures are removed.
You should resume taking your normal blood thinning medications 24hrs post operatively.
PLEASE NOTE: The appropriate wound care instructions will be advised by our practice staff at the time of treatment and the above is provided for reference purposes only. Please contact the practice to clarify any post operative instructions or concerns. If you require out of hours assistance, please contact the practice on 08 8211 0000 and our recorded message will advise you of these contacts.