Wound Care Information Sheet
In order to obtain the best possible results following surgery, please follow these instructions:
- Leave the dressing dry and in place for 48 hours.
- In 48 hours, shower with the dressing on, then remove the dressing, wash hands and gently clean the wound, removing old blood or scabs, using 3% Hydrogen Peroxide on a cotton bud.
- After cleaning the wound apply a generous smear of Vaseline to the wound.
- Then apply a nonstick dressing (such as Telfa or Melolin) shiny side to wound and paper tape (Micropore).
- Repeat steps 2, 3, 4 and 5 every 24 hours until your next appointment.
- If you need pain relief, please take Panadol or Panadeine – avoid Aspirin or any Aspirin containing products.
- If bleeding occurs apply continuous firm pressure with a cold pack or packet of frozen peas over the wound for 20 minutes. If bleeding persists, please call the practice.
- To reduce swelling, apply a cold pack or packet of frozen peas wrapped in a clean tea towel over the dressing for 15 minutes of each hour until bedtime on the day of the surgery only. Swelling is usually worst 2 days after the surgery.
- If the skin around the wound becomes red and tender please call the practice.
- Resting quietly for the first 24-48 hours post-op is advised. Do not exercise, do housework or gardening until sutures are removed.
PLEASE NOTE: The appropriate wound care instruction will be advised by our practice staff at the time of treatment and the above is provided for reference purposes only. Please contact the practice to clarify any post operative instruction or concern. If you require out of hours assistance, please contact our office and our recorded message will advise you of these contacts.